Here at Grupo Fenix we work in three principal areas: community development, professional exchanges and edutourism. Last year we revamped our volunteer program and created our professional exchange program to improve the skills, knowledge and abilities of our members, member groups and employees. This combined with the income generated from our edutourism programs allows us to carry out community development in the areas of health, education, environment, employment and gender equality.
By participating in one of our professional exchanges you can facilitate the exchange of knowledge and skills while achieving Grupo Fenix’s vision to improve the quality of life of rural families and communities in the region. While improving the skills, abilities and knowledge of our members you will also expose them to new ideas, points of view and help them to explore possible new partnerships.
Our professional exchange program will grant you the opportunity to:
- Gain work experience to further your career.
- Give something back.
- Be fully immersed in Nicaraguan life, culture and Spanish language.
- Live in a remote and beautiful location in the mountains of Northern Nicaragua and explore Nicaragua in your free time.
- Work with local Nicaraguan experts in renewable energy, appropriate technology and community development.
- Participate in hands-on learning in a small Nicaraguan village.
All whilst knowing that you are no taking work away from local people but instead helping them to further their career and become employable leaders in their very own community.
The program is divided into two categories:
- Community Development Volunteers and Volunteer Advisers: As a community development volunteer you will work directly in an area of community development identified by the community itself. The main area being focused on at the moment is education via our English, Chess and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) instructor positions. Volunteer advisers will work directly with the steering committee, member groups or the central administration team. The purpose of these positions is to fill a skill gap in our organisation and to increase our skill level accordingly.
- Researchers: This program is aimed primarily at students, both undergraduate and graduate, and faculty who wish to find a supportive ecosystem that encourages and provides assistance for an independent learning project such as a senior thesis or dissertation.